Seven Tips for Parenting From Afar
Whether afar is across town or across the country these tips will help any parent who is not currently sleeping under the same roof as his or her children.
(1) If you have not done so already, call a truce with your Ex. (Note: Your Ex does not have to take the same action.)
(2) Take advantage of technology. One example is setting up web cams on your computer and your kids’ computers.
(3) Make sure that your kids have cell phones with your number programmed in. Remember, texting makes the phone an even more useful tool for staying connected.
(4) Watch TV together. Let your children know that you will be watching their favorite shows and be ready to talk about these shows afterward.
(5) Keep up with schoolwork. Send teachers pre-addressed, stamped manila envelopes so that it’s easy to send you updates. If you hear nothing be sure to initiate communications with teachers by telephone and email.
(6) Make audio and videotapes for your kids and encourage them to make them for you. If you have nothing to say simply record yourself reading a book and then mail both the book and the tape.
(7) Remember small events. Send cards, pictures and letters for Halloween, Valentine’s Day, July 4th, etc.